Monday, June 11, 2007

decaímiento/agotamiento físico

That’s what I was diagnosed with a few nights ago by a friendly cousin doctor after spending the day in bed with chills and fever and throwing up everything I ate.

Here, every sickness comes back down to an emotional state. Every time my stomach rebels, for example, I’m scolded for not having worn enough layers (even in the height of summer), for not eating enough, or for having repressed anger about something. At first skeptical, and somewhat irritated by having to take individual responsibility for whatever virus decides to attack me, I’m starting to come around to this perspective.

I’ve spent the last two months rehearsing for a performance every night. About a month ago, my pleas were finally heeded and the Cochabamba winter very suddenly started. Despite being thrilled about being able to wear scarves and sweaters, my body was shocked after my year long summer, and for the last three weeks I’ve had an unusually nasty cold, two of those weeks during intensive rehearsals. There was the relatively fun stress of searching for fake braids in my hair color and gathering all my costumes, but also the frustration with work and the pressure to be adequately prepared for this terrible month of June with arrivals of group after group after group. Group #1 arrived opening night of Presentación Danzares 2007. Instead of resting after each intense night of the performance, I went straight into intern orientation, a part of my job which tends to bring out all sorts of unique emotions and frustrations in and of itself for me.

Having danced in a gorgeous theater with such a big crazy group and all the entailing backstage hysteria was worth it. There are some videos and photos out there which I’m working on gathering from the kind parties who took them… I’ll try to get them up here when I have a chance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sophie said...

hola hola,
como estas ya, kri? espero q te encuentres en buena salud these days. thinkin of you, wishin you well--
sophie
p.s. fotos de este concierto-- donde estan? esp ones with you in your traje de baile, vale.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home